Grosvenor Square, London W1
The current landscaped gardens of Grosvenor Square, the second largest of its kind in the West End, records the most radical redesign of the site since the original setting out of 1730. A paved avenue leads to a masonry platform, incorporating two fountain pools and the focal point, a Grade II Listed bronze by Sir William Reid Dick set upon a Portland stone plinth.
In readiness for the 50th Anniversary Celebrations, the Royal Parks Agency directed that a programme of cleaning, repairs and improvements to the monument and surrounding areas should be implemented. In keeping with its position in the Mayfair Conservation Area, a conservation grade cleaning, regilding, and anti graffiti specification was devised, with Triton being appointed from a shortlist of three English Heritage approved companies.
With 8 weeks designated for completion, the original scope of works allowed for taking up 1000 square metres of existing paving, with the renewal of approximately 10%. Once suitable slabs had been set aside for reuse, a total of 400 square metres were found to be defective. Without the benefit of an extension, the production of this additional masonry was incorporated into the exisiting programme and, allowing for relaying with revised falls, drainage and kerbing details, the contract was finished ahead of time.
to Ecclesiastical and Monumental case studies