Church of the Ascension
Lavender Hill, London SW18
Designed by James Brooks and constructed in 1876, this Grade II listed church is one of the most important buildings in the Borough of Wandsworth and the largest church in South London. Grant assistance from English Heritage and the local Conservation Group funded the substantial repairs required, and the Church was able to replace the entire Westmoreland green slate roof and clean and repair the external brick fabric.
The bricks were matched to a little known Sussex handmade medium red, the cement, sand and lime pointing was matched to the original in accordance with the recommendations of English Heritage. The use of lime is traditional and has a more compliant characteristic for an old building.
In addition, the stone dressings were repaired and replaced and the leaded lights were comprehensively overhauled. It is anticipated that the boundary wall will be repaired in the near future to provide the finishing touch to this local landmark.
to Ecclesiastical and Monumental case studies