Having previously prepared a specification for the client, Triton were awarded the Main Contract for the external refurbishment of this ornate Grade II Listed building, dated 1905.
The building was initially carefully cleaned using a combination of water sprays for the elevations and the JOS air abrasive system for stubborn stains to the carved Portland stone relief. Restoration works to the stone masonry entailed the consolidation and stabilisation of two structural stone arches, replacement of the main entrance steps with matching York stone and the treatment of de-laminated plinth blocks with Icosit Aquastop, a siloxane based metacrylic resin.
Extensive replacement of defective soft red bricks and repointing with approved matching materials was undertaken to all elevations and, internally, structural repairs were carried out to a concrete staircase.
At high level, the oak framed cupola was fully overhauled, the asphalt roof replaced and defective slates renewed. Drawing upon the skills of their specialist metalworkers. Triton also supplied and fixed new cast iron ornamental swags to the hopper heads and renovated the ornamental copper weathervane. To complete, all previously painted surfaces were redecorated.
to Public and Institutions case studies