The London Palladium
Argyll Street, London, W1F 7TF
The London Palladium, is a grade II* listed building dating from 1910. It was designed by Frank Matcham, a famous theatrical architect. Its lavish auditorium incorporates parts of the former circus building, Matcham retained Owen Lewis’s original 1868 frontage.
Triton were appointed by The Really Useful Group Limited to undertake repairs to the defective cementitious repairs of the four statues. An initial inspection revealed the statues on the front elevation were all showing signs of decay.
Some rudimentary historic repairs had been implemented in an unsympathetic manner causing the loss of some of the original detail, in particular to the arms and hands of each statue.
Following closer extensive examination, fractures and potential water traps were identified and areas of loose and defective stonework removed. Remodelling of individual elements was undertaken using Lithos Arte, moulds were then taken to recreate sections in cast stone and then fixed to the adjacent sound masonry following any steel treatment.
A decision is still pending on the re-guilding of the tridents, staffs and lyre to re-create the original finish.
to Commercial case studies